This web page sets out how We Are Futureproofs Ltd (which owns and operates the Futureproofs service) uses and protects any information that you provide when you use this website.
We Are Futureproofs Ltd may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy was last updated on 21 August 2018, to remove the reference to paying a fee to access your information (which hasn't actually applied since April) and to combine two sections that both referred to how to see the information we hold about you (the new section 8).
1. What information do we collect?
We collect, store and process the following kinds of personal information from users of this website and people who sign up to our mailing lists.
- Registration information that you provide so that you can use the Futureproofs service (your name, email address and, for some users, company).
- For companies, your payment information (including your billing address) and VAT number.
- Information about your computer and your visits to this website (IP address, browser type and version, geographical location, operating system, time and length of visits, pages viewed and how you use use the various features of the Futureproofs service).
- Information that you provide so when you subscribe to newsletters or other updates (your name and email address), along with data about the emails we send you including how often you open and click links within those emails.
- Any other information that you choose to send us.
We store your information securely in our EU-based computers, protected by passwords and encryption.
When you make a purchase by credit card or direct debit, any information you provide is collected and processed directly by our payment processors Stripe (for credit cards) and GoCardless (for direct debits). We never receive or store your credit-card or bank-account information. Our partners may use your payment information in accordance with their own privacy policies (linked above).
2. How we use your personal information
Where you provide personal information for publication on our website, we will publish that information in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Futureproofs service.
We may use your personal information to:
- provide you with the Futureproofs service;
- send you email notifications as part of the Futureproofs service;
- provide you with effective support as you use the Futureproofs service;
- send statements and invoices to you, and collect payments from you or your company;
- improve your experience by personalising the service or our messages to you;
- provide you, your team-mates and third parties with information (including aggregated statistical information) about the usage of the Futureproofs service; and
- deal with enquiries and complaints made by or about you;
- keep the website secure;
- verify compliance with the terms and conditions of the Futureproofs service.
In order to perform the above activities, we will share some of your information with third parties in order to provide the services you request.
- Registration information is shared with our email provider MailChimp, our customer-support platform Intercom and our data-translation service Segment.
- Information that you send us through the Futureproofs application is shared with our infrastructure providers Amazon AWS and Compose.io.
- Information about your computer and how you navigate our site is shared with our customer-support platform Intercom and our data-translation service Segment.
- Payment information is shared with our book-keeping software provider Intuit.
- Information related to mailing lists is shared with our mailing-list provider MailChimp.
- Information that you email us is shared with our email provider Fastmail.
We may retain such data about you for as long as you have an account with the Futureproofs service. If you close your account, we may retain certain data you have sent to the service indefinitely in order to continue to provide the service to other users (such as content you have uploaded to the Futureproofs service), and to comply with accounting rules and other legal requirements.
If you have subscribed to our marketing list(s) then we may also use your information to send you our newsletter and other marketing communications related to our business which we think may be of interest to you, via email or similar technology. In this case, we will retain the relevant data until you unsubscribe from our marketing list(s).
We may disclose your personal information to any of our employees, officers, agents, suppliers or contractors as reasonably necessary to deliver the Futureproofs service to you. This includes our infrastructure providers, who may in the course of work learn your email address and other personal information:
- Amazon Web Services, who provide our server infrastructure, including file storage and our user-authorisation database;
- Compose, who provide the database service that stores the details of the projects you work on in Futureproofs;
- MailChimp, who process the notification emails we send as part of the service;
- Segment, who process user-activity data we use for support purposes;
- Intercom, who provide our support service and consume the data sent via Segment.
- Capsule, who help us manage our customer data.
- Stripe, who provide our credit-card processing.
- GoCardless, who provide our direct-debit processing.
- Chargebee, who help manage our payments process.
In addition, we may disclose your personal information:
- to the extent that we are required to by law;
- if necessary for legal proceedings in which we are involved;
- in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights, such as preventing fraud or abuse of the system;
- to the purchaser (or prospective purchaser) of any business or asset that we are (or are contemplating) selling.
5. International data transfers
In addition, personal information that you submit for publication on the Futureproofs service will be available to users globally who have access to the same projects as you. We have no control over the use or misuse of any such information by others.
By using the Futureproofs service, you expressly agree to such transfers of personal information.
6. Security of your personal information
We will store all the personal information that we gather on our secure servers. These are protected by passwords, firewalls and encryption to ensure that your data remains secure. Certain information (such as emails you us) may also be stored on individual computers used by our team. These are also protected by passwords, firewalls and encryption.
As set out in the terms and conditions of service, you must keep your password confidential. We will never ask you for your password except when you log into the website.
7. Changes to this policy
When this policy is updated, we will endeavour to contact you in advance by email and let you know of the changes that are being made.
8. Inspecting your personal information
You have the right to view any personal information that we hold about you. We will honour such requests provided that you provide appropriate evidence of your identity.
We may withold such personal information to the extent permitted by law.
The Futureproofs service provides the ability for you to view and update your name, email address and company details when needed. To do this, visit the account settings while logged into your account.
If you want to see any other information that we hold about you, please see our separate policy.
You may also ask us not to use your personal information for marketing purposes. To do this, you may send an email to our Support team indicating your preference. All marketing emails will also carry an option to unsubscribe from the marketing email list by clicking a link in the email.
9. Linked websites
The Futureproofs website may contain links to other websites. You may also encounter links to websites shared by other users of the Futureproofs service. We Are Futureproofs Ltd is not responsible for the privacy policies or practices of any third-party websites, although we try to work only with organisations whose standards are at least as good as ours.
10. Contacting us
11. Data controller
The data controller responsible for the information collected on this website under UK Law is We Are Futureproofs Ltd. Our registration number with the UK Information Commissioner's Office is ZA044550.